Monday, September 26, 2011

That's All She Wrote

I finished How Yoga Works a little earlier this evening and have been trying to craft some sort of impression from it. I enjoyed reading the book. It was much easier than the heavy political texts my other classes require. Yes the book was cheesy, yes it wasn't always well written, and yes the book seemed to contain some anachronisms however I think it teaches useful lessons. The book does not need to be perfect because the yoga journey is not perfect. As I understand it, yoga is not about perfection but rather the pursuit of perfection. It is about realizing your true nature and seeing unlimited potential in yourself and others. How Yoga Works does a great job of illustrating these ideas. 

For me a particularly poignant moment came late in the book when the Sergeant decided that the orphaned boys could no longer live out on the streets but must be given a permanent shelter. The compassion of that single individual led not only to a home for these children but also to the creation of a school that would better serve the community. The community focus of the book as a whole opened my eyes to the potential that yoga practice has on changing entire groups of people rather than simply an individual. 

Overall impression: The writing of the book did nothing to dazzle or impress me but I think that a lot of the content has planted good seeds in me and has changed how I view yoga. 

1 comment:

  1. I would say mission accomplished then. I did learn recently that he basically wrote the book in a single draft.

    ReplyDelete