Monday, August 29, 2011

Practice Takes Time

Your practice must be done correctly, 
for then a firm foundation is laid. 
                                                                              I.14c 

You must cultivate your practice,
Over an extended period of time.
I.14a

Thus far How Yoga Works has been an intriguing look into the world of yoga. Much like the Captain I believed yoga to be a largely physical practice. However as the Captain spends more time with yoga and with his teacher he learns that the physical practice represents only half of what yoga is, and probably the easier half at that. The two quotes above from the yoga sutras have stuck with me since I read them. In fact I wrote them on the white board that adorns my wall. Each morning and evening I look at them and think of the day ahead or the day behind. Everything in life seems like practice for something else, but am I doing it correctly? Something as simple as interacting with others is definite practice for later interactions but am I doing it correctly? As they say knowing is half the battle and then you must cultivate your practice, over an extended period of time.

In the course of the book four months have elapsed thus far and the captain has progressed but not without some hurdles to overcome. Reading this whilst being new to yoga makes me wonder what obstacles will arise in my own journey aside from my inability to touch my head to the floor. The Captain did yoga out of compassion for the Corporal and the Sergeant but who will I do it for. If we do something just to help ourselves, it will never work. (p.20) How then should I direct my compassion? Who should it be directed towards? Who am I doing this for? Before I can move to far forward a few of these questions will need an answer. 

3 comments:

  1. you are asking the right sort of questions. Thanks particularly for that observation about wondering what obstacles you will encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before reading your post, I had not thought about how the sutras could relate to more than yoga. Now I will try to evaluate other parts of my life according to these two sutras. It is so amazing how you have applied yoga to more than just class but to your life as a whole. Yoga has really impacted your life...at least from what I'm reading. I also hope to direct my yoga towards a greater good. Please tell me once you have discovered how to direct your compassion. I am not sure how to direct mine yet and would love suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga, by design, seems to have a broad impact on life. It seems more than a mere physical and spiritual practice but more of a mindset, an attitude, and a lens through which to view the world. Melissa I wish I had a suggestion. I'll let you know once I figure one out!

    ReplyDelete